Experience Zen Meditation and Sutra Transcription at a Zen Temple and Enjoy Buddhist Cuisine While Gazing Over a Japanese Garden
- Zen meditation experience at a remote old temple
- This is a tour that gives you a unique experience that is not included in guidebooks. At a Zen temple associated with the Mori Clan warlords, you will experience Zen meditation and sutra transcription with a monk who speaks English. Since this is a remote temple, you will be able to experience Zen in a quiet environment. Afterwards, at Yuda Onsen, which boasts a history of 600 years, you will enter Sansuien, which features a beautiful Japanese garden. At this inn, which has been designated as a registered tangible cultural property and a registered monument, you will enjoy the vegetarian cuisine derived from Buddhist teachings, while gazing over the garden.
- Ⅰ. Focus your mind by transcribing the 42-character "Enmei Jikku Kannongyo" (Kannon Sutra for Long Life in Ten Statements)
Transcribe a 42-character Buddhist sutra to calm your mind. Since you will write over a tracing sheet with a calligraphy pen, you will not find it too difficult to write Chinese characters for the first time.
- Ⅱ. Receive meditation and preaching from an English-speaking monk
Gensai-ji Temple is a remote Zen temple that has the best environment for experiencing Zen meditation and sutra transcription. There, you will deepen your understanding of Buddhism by receiving teachings about preaching and Zen from an English-speaking monk.
- Ⅲ. Get a taste of Buddhist cuisine at an inn with a beautiful Japanese garden
Next, you will head over to Sansuien, which has a beautiful Japanese garden. Sansuien is an inn that has been designated as a registered tangible cultural property and a registered monument. There, you will enjoy the vegetarian cuisine derived from Buddhist teachings, while looking out at the Japanese garden.