Explore the temples and shrines of Kotohira and Zentsuji! A pilgrimage to Kagawa’s two major power spots
- Discover the story of two major beliefs, Konpira and Kukai!
- In the Kotohira area, located in the centre of Kagawa Prefecture, there are both a temple and a shrine believed to have great power, and essential places when discussing Japanese folk beliefs: Kotohira-gu Shrine and Zentsuji Temple.
Konpira-mairi, a pilgrimage to Kotohira-gu Shrine, dedicated to the god of the sea, was the only pilgrimage allowed in the Edo period, when ordinary citizens could not travel casually. This pilgrimage was widely admired and longed for, second only to Ise-mairi, a pilgrimage to Ise Shrine in Mie Prefecture.
Sohonzan Zentsuji Temple is known as the birthplace of Kobo-Daishi Kukai, and also a pilgrimage site, having long been considered a place of great faith.
On this tour, you will visit Kotohira-gu Shrine and Zentsuji Temple in a single day, and experience the folk history of these sacred places!
On the way, you will be able to savour a sanuki udon lunch, which is an absolute must when you come to Kagawa, as well as a sake tasting experience.
Let's take a trip to Kotohira and Zentsuji Temple to enjoy the majestic atmosphere of these sacred places, and learn about the deep-rooted faiths of Japan!
- Visit the two major power spots in Kagawa, Kotohira-gu Shrine and Zentsuji Temple, in a single day.
We will guide you through the two expansive complexes, carefully selecting the spots and experiences that you must not miss. Even if it is your first time visiting Kotohira-gu and Zentsuji Temple, you will be able to fully experience the charms and power of both locations in one day. Our guide will also carefully explain the proper rules and etiquette for visiting these temples and shrines.
- Learn more about the history behind the folk beliefs represented by Kotohira and Zentsuji.
Kotohira-gu Shrine and Zentsuji Temple were once places that common people of the past longed to visit at least once in their lives. As a result, the history of the ordinary citizens’ Buddhist beliefs is preserved in many sacred places. On this tour, we will focus on the theme of "popular beliefs”, and our guide will explain this history in an easy-to-understand manner, while at the same time incorporating a number of experiences, providing you with an interesting insight into Japanese religious culture.
- The approach to the temple town is full of atmosphere, and you can enjoy a “Konpira Stroll" tour of stores selling souvenirs that can only be bought here.
The long approach to the Kotohira-gu Shrine is lined with popular souvenir stores. The “Konpira Stroll" is a way to enjoy the walk up to the shrine, while eating, drinking, or picking up a few souvenirs in these stores. In addition to the stores recommended by our guide, you can also freely explore according to your own preferences, one of the charms of a private tour.