Hiking Tour at Mt. Misen, Miyajima
- A mountain climbing experience at a World Heritage Site, where you can feel the nature with all five senses
- This is an outdoor tour where you will hike up the sacred Mt. Misen, which is registered as a World Heritage Site alongside Itsukushima Shrine. At Miyajima, where the island itself is an object of worship, you can not only immerse yourself in the beautiful nature, scenery, and the Virgin Forest Misen, but also thoroughly enjoy the guide's explanations of the eternal fire that has been burning for 1200 years, historical anecdotes, and other such matters. On this tour of Miyajima, you will go hiking up the mountain, take a ropeway down the mountain, have lunch, and sightsee around Itsukushima Shrine.
- I. Enjoy a magnificent view of Miyajima from the ferry! Picturesque spots including Itsukushima Shrine can be seen right in front of you!
From the ferry, you can enjoy a view of the World Heritage Site in front of you as you sail to Miyajima. After arriving on the island, you will head towards Itsukushima Shrine. On the way there, you can also interact with friendly deer and come across many picturesque spots.
- II. Experience the exhilaration of climbing the World Heritage Site and spiritual hot spot that is Mt. Misen, and having rice balls for lunch at the summit!
After stopping at Itsukushima Shrine, it's finally time to climb the mountain. In the course that takes you 535m high in altitude and about 2.5km far in distance, you will not only be able to see the nature unique to Mt. Misen, but also watch the eternal flame that has been burning since 806 AD, while having some tea made from the holy water of a big teakettle, which is said to be effective against all illnesses. After climbing to the top of the mountain, you will then have the exceptional experience of gazing over the magnificent scenery, while eating rice balls for lunch made with conger eel, a specialty of Mt. Misen.
* As an option, you can choose to have the specialty “Anago-meshi (conger eel rice)” for lunch.
- III. Enjoy the seasonal view of Mt. Misen from the ropeway, and take a break at a cafe after coming down the mountain
After lunch, you will take the ropeway down Mt. Misen on your way back. You may snap some photos while looking over the seasonal landscape. After coming down the mountain, you will then enjoy the popular soft serve ice cream at a cafe that is popular with locals and tourists alike.