Uwajima’s Historical Cycling Tour
- Morning cycling in the historic city of Uwajima
- An English-speaking tour guide will lead you through the recommended spots of Uwajima on a bicycle. You can efficiently enjoy the historic city of "Uwajima" by visiting a shrine, castle, museum, and Japanese garden in half a day. On the tour, you will visit the Date Museum, where the actual weapons, tableware, and vehicles used by the Date family are kept in a beautiful condition. There, you can also put on the armor and take commemorative photos in front of the Date family crest, among other things. These are special experiences that you can only have at the Date Museum.
- Ⅰ. Tour around the nature-rich castle city of "Uwajima" on a hybrid bicycle!
After renting a bicycle, you will cycle along a riverside. As you head towards Warei-jinja Shrine, you will enjoy the scenery of Uwajima, which is surrounded by mountains, rivers and the sea.
- Ⅱ. Learn about the unknown history and culture that are not featured in guidebooks
At Warei-jinja Shrine, you will learn about Shintoism and how to pray from a guide. After that, you will head towards the Date Museum by cycling through a residential area that cannot usually be seen by tourists. At the Date Museum, the actual weapons, tableware, and vehicles that were used by the Date family are kept in a beautiful condition. The museum also allows you to wear the armor and take commemorative photos in front of the Date family crest. Following this, you will take a stroll through "Tenshaen Garden", which is an enormous Japanese garden where the seventh feudal lord Munetada Date lived. You will tour around the beautiful pond, greenery, and Japanese-style houses that are found in this establishment, which is also known as "The Japanese Garden".
Next, you will ride your bicycle again to the towering "Uwajima Castle" that is located in the center of Uwajima City. The tower of Uwajima Castle is situated at the top of a mountain, to which you will be hiking up. From the top floor of the tower, you can get a panoramic view of Uwajima City.
At each historical spot you visit, you will be able to learn about history and Japanese culture from the guide.
- Ⅲ. Lastly, have your fill of some “tai-meshi” (sea bream rice), an Uwajima specialty
Lastly, you will enjoy some “tai-meshi”, which is a specialty in Uwajima. Eaten with fresh tai (sea bream) and specially made soup stock, tai-meshi is a local dish that you can only have in Uwajima.
* If you do not like seafood, you can also choose from vegetable tempura, tofu salad, and fried chicken.