Visit Matsuyama in Ehime, a town of high culture. Matsuyama Castle & Dogo Hot Springs Walking Tour
- From Japan's oldest hot springs to a castle tower with a spectacular view, Matsuyama is full of must-see spots!
- Matsuyama City is located in the central part of Ehime Prefecture and is the largest city in the Shikoku region. The city has a long history of hot springs, which have been visited by many historical figures, including the Imperial Family. In modern times, novels set in Matsuyama have become best sellers, contributing to the city flourishing as a nationwide famous tourist destination.
Matsuyama Castle, built during the Middle Ages, allowed the area to develop as a castle town, becoming the political and economic centre of the region. The castle architecture, unchanged since that era, is a precious treasure and a must-see tourist attraction in Matsuyama.
Our tour will take you to the two major sightseeing spots in Matsuyama, along with other must-visit locations, in a single day. Our tour is recommended for those who want to fully enjoy sightseeing in Matsuyama.
The Dogo Onsen Honkan is a symbol of Ehime, with over 3,000 years of history. A wooden structure with an old-fashioned Japanese atmosphere, it has been featured in the Michelin Guide.
Matsuyama Castle offers a chance to appreciate the unique castle architecture, as well as a spectacular view of the city and the sea.
In addition to these two major sightseeing spots, you will also visit many other must-see places in Ehime, such as a Japanese garden, known as a famous photo spot, and a shopping street where you can enjoy local food.
- Visit Matsuyama Castle, dating back to the time of the samurai, and enjoy a spectacular view of the city of Matsuyama.
Matsuyama Castle, built on a mountain 132 metres above sea level, possesses one of the only 12 existing castle towers in Japan, and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Ehime. From the tower, you can enjoy a beautiful view of the city and the Seto Inland Sea. Enjoy a detailed tour of the castle with our guide.
- A building listed in the Michelin Guide, where you can take a commemorative photo.
If you are looking for an old-fashioned Japanese atmosphere, the "Dogo Onsen Honkan”, the main building of Dogo Onsen, is the place to go. Dogo Onsen is the oldest hot spring in Japan, with a history of 3,000 years, and was the first public bathhouse in Japan to be designated as a national important cultural property. On our tour, you will also be able to take a bath, if you so wish.
- Partake in the local specialties, at two shopping streets with very different atmospheres.
Ehime Prefecture is also famous for its many delicious local specialties. In the shopping streets you will visit on the tour, you will be able to enjoy different sweets made from oranges, which Ehime is famous for, as well as local delicacies such as “tai meshi" (sea bream rice), “jakoten" (fish cake), and “botchan dango" (sweet dumplings). Enjoy a delicious lunch in these busy streets lined with stores.